Sunday, August 7, 2016

Self-Talk

As I have mentioned I am (slowly) reading a book called Meant to Eat: A Practical Guide to Developing a Healthy Relationship with Food  http://www.lindsayreinholt.com/#!book/tvl0m

Here are some excerpts from this book that I have found especially relevant. Thanks to my sister's recent Blog comments they were brought back into my focus:




























In another part of the book the author similarly talks about using the terms good vs. bad when describing food and how she likes the term "fun foods".There's nothing wrong with having fun as long as fun doesn't become a vice. For me I felt I was doing that with many of my food choices.

To be clear I am not in favor of lets all just talk in fake Happy Happy Joy Joy terms all the time. There is a time and a place to get down and brutally honest with ourselves and possibly trusted others about making some needed changes in our lives. In all things there is a balance to be found and often I find I am out of balance with food. It's tough because, as someone wisely pointed out to me "we can't give up food like other things such as smoking/drinking" I think of this year as a sort-of compromise I'm not giving up food for the year but I am giving up using it as a vice/overindulgence. I started with committing myself to not eat my most popular fun foods for a year.

****

My self-talk lately regarding this Blog has been trying to sneak in negativity regarding my decision to abstain from certain foods, "you'll just go right back to how you ate before once the year is over" and "you are really going to inconvenience other people" and "you're just going to create new vices like meats and sweets, so what's the point?" Yesterday I had a thought that brought positive energy against hose negative thoughts. I shared in a recent post about how we went to Cheddar's and I chose a bunch of side dishes that I would never have considered (like broccoli casserole!). My positive self-talk yesterday said, "Amy that visit to Cheddar's is the whole year in miniature, you're not trying to give these vices up forever- just one year. You will experience every typical thing (such as holidays etc) that happens in 12 months without having your typical vices/fun foods. Instead of focusing on what will happen after this year enjoy the fact that you are opening yourself up to new foods and challenging yourself to plan out and enjoy your food." [Last night I made cheese sauce and instead of putting it over macaroni I poured it over broccoli and cauliflower, yummy! ]

A goal I've gained by reading this book is: I am on a journey to mend my broken relationship with food so that I can live a healthy happy life. I already live a happy life and a mostly healthy one as well. Me and food have had struggles through the years and I will repeat this goal to myself daily (I've added it to my phone daily reminders).



5 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. I'm thinking that part of you challenges me as you write. Again, I have so many thoughts rattling around in my brain. I'll try, will I succeed?, to be brief.
    first - people really do support other vices more! Some people just don't get that a buffet meal is to me as a bar is to an alcoholic (I assume). Sure, I could just get one reasonable plate, but I never do, so it is best for me to not go to that restaurant.
    second - I totally get all of your negative self talk especially the one about inconveniencing others. YET! how often do I make sure I have appropriate food for others? I'm fine doing that for them, so I bet, just a hunch, that they would be fine doing that for me! When I'm the host, like when sister-in-law visits, I take it as a challenge.
    third - "broken relationship with food" I so relate to those 4 words.

    and for me the challenge soon starts (I have issues of quantity and what to get when I'm not in control of what is in front of me) HOW Will I Deal With All That Is Offered During Faculty Meetings / Welcome Back To School Meals?
    I Am Worth It!! (note: "I" specifically being better cholesterol numbers; and "It" being a healthy body)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever tried visualization? The author suggested doing this before a party (or back to school meetings?) walk yourself through the scenarios and decide ahead of time what you plan to eat, say, etc.

      Delete
    2. If I have helped you in anyway that makes me very happy, I'm glad to hear your thoughts and challenges.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete