Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Hunger Scale and Wheat Alternatives

In Lindsay Reinholt's Meant to Eat I read about using a Hunger Scale. Reinholt encourages her readers to start with a food diary and then move to a hunger diary, a scale is a helpful tool.
Here is the Hunger Scale she suggests:
1: stuffed, uncomfortable, and food no longer sounds good
2: Full but comfortable, satisfied
3: Neither full nor hungry, neutral
4: Hungry, there's a slight emptiness to the stomach, food is desirable, subtle hunger sensations in the mouth and stomach; The Golden Hour
5: Overly hungry, starving, ravenous, stomach pangs, shakiness, and other unpleasant sensations; 
The Danger Zone
The Golden Hour is important because we should be eating since we are truly hungry and yet not too hungry. We're likely to make good choices at this time.

I had never heard of such a scale before, apparently there are many different ones. I like the simplicity of this one. I have trouble deciding when I am 3 or 4. Sometimes I think that I'm hungry (4) when actually I'm just bored and wishing I was hungry because I want to eat. I have definitely felt 1 vs. 2 and I really need to be in tune with myself as to when I go from one to the other. Yesterday I left the house around 11am to do about 10 different errands. I live in a small town and even so I figured out which things I needed to do first, second, third etc so as to not backtrack. Even with all of this planning I didn't get home until about 1pm. I was 5 for sure! I enjoy being hungry when I have a meal in mind to eat and I did. I ate some baked beans with a little leftover breakfast sausage, some lettuce with roasted mushrooms, yummy!

Here are some of my typical hunger scales/meals* lately:

Breakfast: Hunger Scale go from 5 to 2  -- either cheesy eggs/fruit or peanut butter oatmeal/fruit, coffee with half-n-half and 1 scant tsp of real sugar (around 6am)
Snack: HS 4 to 2  -- peanut butter apple or cheese w/ apple or raisins w/ almonds (9:30-10)
Lunch: HS 4 to 2 -- tossed salad with lettuce/tomato/cheese/maybe meat/pickles and some sort of fruit, finish with a small ice cream with p butter and choc syrup
Snack(s) HS 4/3 to 2 -- nuts or seads, fruit w/ cheese or p. butter
Dinner: HS 4 to 2 -- veggies or salad with some sort of meat and fruit or sometimes a scoop of ice cream and choc syrup
Snack: HS 4 to 2 -- nuts or seads, fruit w/ cheese or p. butter

*I've been drinking about 64-80 ounces of water a day starting with 16oz before breakfast.

****

I found these sweet wheat free dessert/breakfast options on Facebook today:
http://www.eatclean.com/recipes-how-to/6-clean-eating-no-bake-breakfast-cookie-recipes?cid=soc_Eat%20Clean%20-%20eatcleanfeed_FBPAGE_Eat%20Clean__

While I am excited to learn about wheat/rice alternatives such as quinoa and almond flour for now I am sticking to and enjoying eating more fruits and vegetables. Grains are important, I am eating oatmeal on a regular basis. I love that I am craving fruits and vegetables and that they make me feel really good. I am being careful to not over justify on the ice cream by trying to have one honest scoop and only a serving of dark chocolate syrup. I love it with peanut butter, it is fun food and I believe the enjoyment of food is important. Should I be eating ice cream at lunch AND dinner? probably not.

One substitution I really enjoy is having roasted vegetables covered with meaty spaghetti sauce and parmigiana cheese. I like to use frozen peppers/onions that I've roasted in the oven, broccoli also works well or whatever I have.  I love the combination of the sauce with the cheese and the vegetables dance in my mouth-- it is a very happy place indeed! I am considering purchasing a Spiralizer (a tool that turns things like squash into a spaghetti shape) I enjoy spaghetti squash but haven't had it recently. 





No comments:

Post a Comment