Sunday, April 5, 2020

Intentions: Fitness, Empathy, Easter

Hello Readers --
I love the word intentions, it says that I'm being mindful while remaining flexible- an important pandemic life skill. I have been in awe this week at the reinforcement I have experienced. Specifically, how something I'm learning in one area of my life gets (re)applied and/or taught by someone on another video, email, or post of some sort. Here are three examples.

Reinforcement: fitness
I did well with my food logging this week and my activity levels are also steady. I am dissatisfied with the scale who is at a bit of standstill. When I look at my weight loss trends weekly/monthly as kept track in my phone app, it is going down but I am anxious to hit 159.9 or lower --I've been teasing at 161-162 for the last 2.5 weeks. I bought 3 pairs of shorts denim, khaki and the ones below. I decided, weather permitting, this month I want to add some cardio/jogs into my walks. This idea was reinforced when I watched the linked video that teaches about "FIT" Frequency, Intensity, Time--as things to consider when wanting to "level up" in your fitness regimen --Thanks for that confirmation! [Insidentally- how the heck did the last pandemic-ers "survive" w/o online shopping?--also I am so excited to be a confident size 14 all 3 pairs of shorts fit!]
Walking Video--8:01 talks about FIT

New Exercise Shorts
Pockets, a must!
Two in one/leggings and running shorts

Reinforcement: Comparative Suffering/Pain -
in my last post I mentioned the tendency to add a caveat to our own "complaints" because we know others have it worse. The next day I finished listening to the Tarana Burke podcast where this was given the term from Brene --"Comparative Suffering". I had probably previously learned this from the awesome teacher/author and was applying it to this current situation. Comparative suffering should be met with the understanding that our 'small' suffering 'counts' and may be used as a venue to create empathy.

Empathy and sympathy are often grouped together, but they are very different, Empathy is a skill that can bring people together and make people feel included, while sympathy creates an uneven power dynamic and can lead to more isolation and disconnection. -Brene Brown summary

The You've Got Mail example from Kathleen Kelly "...it ought to begin by being personal" applies well here also. I love how in the movie KK renders Joe Fox speechless when she completely redefines his worldview with this simple statement.

Brene Brown with Tarana Burke Being Heard and Seen

Reinforcement: Easter
Also in my last post, I mentioned how my sister/my pastor was unable to shove down dealing with how to feel about Easter in Isolation as I was currently doing. Shortly after posting this sentiment, I watched Mayim Bialik's video on how she was approaching Passover this year--she had also posted in 2018 about Passover -- Passover 2020 and 2018 Passover .Passover cooking
I am frequently struck and challenged by Mayim's thoughtful way of approaching life. One may not agree with her and she with them, she allows for that so generously while also doing things the way she thoughtfully and transparently is compelled to do. She reminds me of my pastor/my sister who the very next day sent a wonderful personal narrative to my sister/my teacher and me that included the link of a post that reflects her views on Easter this year. A vision for a humble Easter
--I could do a whole post on the evolution of my faith. Themes would include-- my struggle with eternity, how I'm a fraud-a hopeful agnostic, no hell, heaven?-- Coco movie "Remember me" to list a few.
For now, I will share that during this pandemic I had not been able to watch any church service links/videos all the way through. Because I rarely "miss" a Sunday I was wondering what was wrong with me. Both my sister and Mayim helped me to normalize this feeling. I realized that I could not focus on the videos/streaming because they made me cringe, I've always struggled with tela-pastoring. I also struggle with "live" musicals-- for me, some things need to be experienced in the same space.
I have reset my intentions and expectations, as stated earlier, important pandemic life skills.

Thanks for reading.
Stay well,
AmyBH























No comments:

Post a Comment