Thursday, April 23, 2020

Food Adding (not Additives!)

Hello Readers,

I have been taking Dani Spies's advice for months and have accumulated a few new things into my diet/pantry staples. In the link below Dani gives several tips that are all great. At around minute 4 she talks about calorie counting and the pitfalls that this can become if we (I) let it. It is debatable in the wellness circles of YouTube if one should calorie count or ______ fill in the blank with various things such as intermittent fasting, hormone awareness, gut balancing, etc. I really like how Dani explains it, I have found her calming and fun approach refreshing and doable. The bottom line for me (for now) is that I still need to learn what is OK and logging and calorie counting/inventory-ing is teaching me new habits and overall awareness. Otherwise, I'm shooting in the dark, I believe in listening to your body and being intuitive but I need to keep these training wheels on.

Tips from Dani (Clean & Delicious)

Some of my staples:
Rolled oats
frozen berries (and fresh lately)
bananas
fresh spinach
Fage  (or store brand) 2% greek plain yogurt (big container)
fresh or frozen broccoli and cauliflower (I love to roast these in the oven --so yummy!)
frozen riced cauliflower (I like the Green Giant brand) -good for a stirfry and other meal fillers
pickles (bread & butter or dill --great snack when I'm craving a little something)
salad makings
block of parmesan (I cut into cubes for ready-made snack/treat, only 1)
balsamic vinegar (I recently discovered that I love this! especially drizzled on a salad of fresh spinach, cherry tomatoes, and strawberries)
Chia seeds -- mixed in oatmeal, or mixed with milk---creates a pudding
Ground Flaxseeds

I've mentioned this before regarding breakfast:
I enjoy ground flaxseed in my oatmeal, I put 1 Tablespoon with 1/4 cup of Rolled Oats and 1/2 cup of water a little salt and microwave it for 2 minutes--- I find the texture to be more satisfying than oats alone -- I can't go back. Here are some oatmeal toppings I enjoy:
  • banana, 1 T natural peanut butter, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries or raspberries (or fresh if available)
  • over-easy egg shredded cheese &/or meat (usually ham)
  • over-easy egg with 1 patty of Morning Star meatless breakfast sausage (I put the "sausage" patty in the microwave while I'm cooking the oats then top with egg---delicious) 
  • 1-2 Tablespoons of 2% Fage plain greek yogurt, 1 tsp honey or maple syrup, 1/4 cup berries
Recent addition:
nutritional yeast -yellow flakes (kind of looks like goldfish food), low calorie, vegan, high in protein - not a lot of taste, is creamy sort of like grated parmesan cheese, good on popcorn/pasta sauce/roasted veggies--I'm enjoying experimenting with it

Last weekend I made nut and seed crackers. [I had previously enjoyed making Chia Seed crackers] It took me a while to get all of the ingredients together, some are not easy to find. I swapped walnuts in for the hazelnuts, I used no sweetener, and all the nuts were salted and were not raw.

My Attempt at Seed Crackers

Here are two videos with recipes I made the first one:
Nut & Seed Crackers I tried
Other Seed Crackers

Lunch staple:
I like to make salads with the greek yogurt instead of mayo. I use tuna or wild-caught canned salmon or leftover roasted chicken mixed with chopped spinach, pickles, canned jalapeno pepper --I wrap this in a Joseph pita/wrap --great for packed lunch. I also make wraps with sandwich meat/hummus/spinach/pickles/jalapeno --mmm!

Things I want to try:
Acai/Acai bowls
Making my own meatless "burgers" &/or burger crumbles
Making my own "milk" from oats or nuts

In the news: 
It is becoming more apparent that economic pressures are clouding the focused efforts of quarantine. Some states are being super strict while others are easing off. Many people feel strongly that this is too soon to ease off and will waste all our efforts for the last few weeks. At the same time, the economic impacts are very real and can not be ignored long-term. To say this topic is filled with nuance would be a great understatement.

My Feelings:
I get nervous when I hear or see posts where people use words that are dividing. I worry that religious groups will rise up in the name of religious freedom. Some businesses and workers are fighting to work while others are fighting to stay safe at home. I worry that those who feel trapped will snap and do something ugly. Nova Scotia already experienced a shooting-- I'm not sure if the motive is known.

Toilet paper:
I heard a theory that it isn't just hoarding that has caused the run on TP. The mere fact that we're all home and not using school/work tp has meant that stores couldn't keep with the demand. 📈

Tomorrow -
I'm headed into work to finish-up some purchase orders for next year and to meet-up with the dry cleaner who will pick-up the marching uniforms. I am looking forward to getting out of the house!

Thanks for reading.
Stay well,
Amy BH

No comments:

Post a Comment