Saturday, October 29, 2016

Pictures

Seeing myself in the mirror is so different from a photo. I'm not sure what it is exactly but photos can be discouraging. I own who I am but for a moment, when I first see it, I cringe. I used to not be able to look at certain photos at all but I am growning to appreciate all of the different views of me.

****

Eating and PMS and being a woman and all that nonsense amaze me. I remember Oprah sharing when she was getting close to/starting menopause that she was celebrating each monthly cycle as she would a close friend. I love the show King of the Hill the simple lessons the characters learn each episode are funny and enlightening. One of my favorite episodes is Aisle 8A when Connie gets her period while staying with the Hills, Hank has to take her to the store (and whatnot). Later Connie and her mom have this conversation:

MINH: Kahn Jr., you have PMS. It's hard, but very easy to understand. You just yell and yell, or you just cry and cry. 
CONNIE: But it feels like I'm doing both of those at the same time. 
MINH: Connie, you feel things more now. Makes sad movies truly excellent. You see Titanic on the right day, it blow you away.

This is so true for me, at times I am angry/raging but more often I am deeply moved by things like gratitude, humor, and the thoughtfulness of others. It's hard to curve the cravings I get for certain foods during these hormonal episodes. However, I love how they eventually subside like the changing of the seasons.

****

My 15 minute daily walks have been a true blessing this month. I often get home and head right out so that I can be sure to get my walk in before the evening squeezes it out. Sometimes I walk around the town where I work. One afternoon this past week my work buddy needed to vent a bit so I walked her to her car which was on the opposite side of our small campus. I told her I was counting it as the beginning of my walk so she could meet up with her daughters who were waiting on her. It was a win win situation because then she didn't feel bad about me going out of my way.

****

November Goals (Intentions)

1) continue with eating plan
2)15 minute daily walk for pleasure
3) 1 minute daily plank (will need to build up to this)

No comments:

Post a Comment