Friday, October 14, 2016

Sizing Up

I've been thinking a lot this week about my size, this Blog, and my eating habits. I am realizing more and more how much I need to come to terms with how my eating habits and my size play into my perception of my health. These are not always in sync: I feel healthier when I am thinner and I feel unhealthy when I am heavier, but is that an accurate analysis?  I heard once that a definition of weather is the clothes you wear as compared to the definition of climate which is the clothes you own. I want to have a healthy 'climate' (mostly making good choices about my activity level and food choices) but I also want to be able to eat for the 'weather' (enjoying the celebrations and storms of life as food is often a part of these occasions). Life often about balancing work and pleasure: I want my students to see the fun in what they are doing and yet I still need to teach them about working through tough stuff with discipline and endurance. Having a healthy lifestyle is important to me and one that I am striving to define.

****

I have enjoyed chocolate with a cup of hot tea most evenings this week.

****

I have been diligent with my 15 minute daily walks. I did miss a day due to bad weather but made it up the next day as per my plan. I enjoy knowing my daily step amounts and have been trying to get at least 7900 on my non-working days. I usually exceed 11,000 steps on days I teach (that number will go down a bit with marching season ending tomorrow).

****

I am really good about packing my lunch but some mornings I wake up and think grumpily  "I'm gonna eat breakfast before I pack my lunch today" (for me to do this 'out of order' is the same as skipping school to go to the movies). Overeating food for me is a type of rebellion and so I have been trying to figure out healthier versions of breaking 'the rules.' This week I wore the same socks two days in a row, is that nuts or what?

1 comment:

  1. 2 days in a row with socks is so crazy.
    I hear you about wondering health and size. For me I use it as an excuse in that: "I can run for an hour and how many skinny people can do that so get off my back about my weight." Just because I can do that should not mean that it is okay to overeat, skip working out (especially with weights since I know that is good for me), or whatever.
    I love that you are choosing healthy and sharing this journey.

    ReplyDelete