Sunday, October 2, 2016

Not Telling, Profiles, Birthday Cake/Senior Pizza, Roasted Chickpeas/Cheesy Kale Chips, HyVee/Walmart, and Morning Mugs

"I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms." [Joe Fox in an email: You've Got Mail]

The quote above is me regarding this blog. I am really enjoying the charms of not telling most people. I remember when I found out that my husband's cousin had become a vegetarian. No one knew for the longest time. She just did her thing. She didn't mind talking about why she had made the change (it was a compelling story to be sure) she just only did when asked. I really admired how she carried herself in such a way that most people, even those who ate with her often, had no idea. I am extremely thankful for being able to write here in this Blog and get out my need to share, it helps me move forward. 

****

I admired my profile in the vanity mirror Friday morning. From my torso up I can see a difference in my shape that I feel really good about. Later that day I was sitting at a desk in the classroom and happened to glance a view of myself in a full length mirror I had forgot was beside me: not a good view at this time! While I am happy with my progress I am also aware that this is not the shape I want to maintain. Yes I am already experiencing success but I also know that I will have better health, especially in terms of my energy level as I continue with these good choices. 

****

My birthday was last Sunday and the following Monday I found a homemade cake on my desk. My work BFF had left it there with a Happy Birthday message on the cover of the container (she had taken the day off to watch her daughters play at HS Golf Districts, which their team won WOOT WOOT!!). She is so clever replying to my thank you text with "what are you talking about?" but it was extremely obvious as to who did it and exactly the type of thoughtful thing she does. My 47th birthday (2015) was on a Friday, I had been on my new job for less than a month and we had a home football game. This meant a late night of Pep Band. No one knew it was my birthday, I thought about bringing treats etc but ended up celebrating my birthday in my heart that day/evening. (We celebrated as a family at another time.) It was so great to share the cake with students throughout the day who all gave me a hearty "Happy Birthday!" as they dug in with big smiles. I didn't have a piece but I've never enjoyed a cake more. The next day when my friend's daughter (one of the golfers) asked "how'd you like your cake?" I said in all honesty "I loved it!"

In similar fashion the Senior Class I co-sponsor earned a pizza lunch from our administrator for being the first class to get all of their registration forms signed and turned in at the beginning of the year. My lunch break is with the JH students so I was teaching while they enjoyed their pizza. There are few things better in this world than having 3 smiling/proud seniors interrupt your 6th Grade Band class carrying 3 slices of pizza saying, "we brought you some pizza Mrs. Haddock!" and asking "what do you like to drink Mrs. Haddock?"  I have a rare bond with these girls: they ask for and respect my opinion while also telling me how much they appreciate my help. I have been on the other side of this with other students I've sponsored in the past (I don't feel as though I've done anything new) and so I treasure this connection deeply. I did not eat the pizza (I packed it in my lunch box to save for my husband) still when the seniors asked later, "did you like your pizza?" I said, in all honesty, "very much!"

****

I've tried to make roasted chickpeas but they were not nearly as good as the ones I bought from the Walmart produce section this week. They happened to be seasoned with Ranch but it's the texture that I'm in love with the most. I also love their Cheese Flavored Kale chips, the texture is a sort of gooey crunch. 

****

My two hometown grocery stores are HyVee and Walmart Supercenter, both have a Health Food section and I especially enjoy trying their snack options. They stock a wide variety of nuts, seeds, and chips. The more traditional chips are corn &/or rice based so are not an option at this time but may be portioned in the future.

****

As I posted in Bowlful the dishes we use play into how we enjoy our food. I really like certain coffee mugs and so does my husband. He and I are not the same in what we like but that we have a similar thought process. I like big handles that all 4 fingers easily slide into, he likes only 3 fingers to fit. I like big clunky mugs of any color, her prefers white with one simple emblem. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you wrote today (or would I have to "make" you do that or somehow hold you accountable as you had requested in a previous post?)
    I admire how you are enjoying food without eating it, how you are being mindful about meals: what to pack, what might happen (like the box lunch situation), what to try.

    Sunday I was put into a very strange food situation. Lunch at the governor's mansion! says Hugh. The neighbor's friend bought a table to help the nurses association.
    Great, I think. I can do this. I ate a regular breakfast, did NOT snack at Costco (well, nothing was out yet, but still!), and even though I was getting hungry at 11:30, I did not eat before going into town.
    When I got home from grocery shopping, Hugh tells me it is casual, we are to wear hats, it will be inside.
    When we get there, we are obviously under dressed. Many ladies (very few men) are in fancy hats (think Jay's wedding), dresses, panty hose?, men in suits and ties which is VERY unusual for Nevada.
    Our friend arrives and it is a "high tea". We get seated and I look at the program. Tea (i.e. food) is to start at 1:30. Luckily the blueberry scone was on the table. Lunch: salad (YUM!) and quiche (yuck - gave to Hugh); 3 super mini sandwiches: 6 made from regular bread slices, you only got one, cucumber was open faced (gave the egg salad to Hugh) - served a long time after the salad; eventually the dessert tower arrived. By that time I was so hungry! Ate half a key lime cookie (sub par), a bite of lemon bar (whatever), mini eclair, a bite of the chocolate cake, OH - I did eat the "fancy hat decorated" sugar cookie after I scraped off the icing. We also got a trifle, but it was not very good.
    my point
    If I'd known it was a high tea, I would have had a proper lunch a the house! At least a piece of chicken!
    That evening we went to a dinner / cookout at the lake for Tahoe Rim Trail volunteers. There - hamburger no bun, salad, fruit salad, macaroni salad. The problem was I still felt hungry.
    Back to the point - I'm thinking I need to be more aware of situations involving food, when I get to eat, what will be available. Making good choices once I get to hunger zone is extremely tough for me.

    Glad you are liking the mirror view more. The locker picture did not come through for me.I too have my favorite dishes, mugs, varies with what I'm eating.

    Love you lots


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hey I didn't pass 7 days only about 5, lol 😊

      Hard day for sure! Maybe try eating a little before such events? No easy solution.

      Not sure why locker photo didn't post. I tried adding the text, hope that helps (thanks for letting me know).

      Delete