Saturday, April 30, 2022

Cold Play -- Fix You

Hello Readers,

Last Sunday I had the opportunity to attend another local choral concert and it was fabulous. This time the song that has stayed with me the most was Fix You by Cold Play arranged for choir by George Chung. Here is the original song Cold Play Fix You and the choir arrangement Chung Fix You. There is one thing that is missing from both of these versions that the choir director added to the performance I attended. After the musical interlude he turned towards the audience and as noted in the program he started singing in a microphone and directing the audience to join with him the following lyrics in a counter melody -- We're gonna get it, get it together, right now - We're gonna get it, get it together somehow - We're gonna get it, get it together and flower, Woah, oh-oh-oh-oh-oh repeat etc... Then the choir joined in with the last stanzas as the audience continued to sing the counter melody. I am tearing up just remembering it in my head. It was evident that the audience was moved as we stood and sang as one large choir.

As always thanks for reading and I hope you have a great week!

Stay well,

Amy BH

4 comments:

  1. Being in a space to hear a song that moves you is such a blessing. Thank you for sharing.
    xo, hlb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! (I'm glad I got off the couch so I didn't miss out.)

      Delete
  2. Full-emersion via participation is such a gift! The McPherson Church of the Brethren has a tradition of having a (now) 90-something-year-old retired choir director/gym teacher (reminds us of Grandma Brunell) lead the congregation in singing "The Lord's Prayer," and (as you can imagine) I LOVE belting it out in a setting like that.

    Last Sunday I was invited to sing the verses and the congregation sing the chorus on a hymn that has an inconsistent tune and on the spur of the moment I invited anyone who knew it to also sing the verses with me (music for the verses is not in the hymnal). So glad I did! I could tell a couple were singing with me and afterward they expressed appreciation for the opportunity. I like this version because the composer tells about how he came to write it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFgZGlZ5t80

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing those examples. The song on the link is so meaningful -- I can imagine the setting as you described and it warms my heart.

      Delete