Friday, April 22, 2022

Updates and an Inspiring Piece of Music

Hello Readers,

Starting with some personal celebrations -- I have gone a whole month without one of my medications and after revisiting with my psychiatrist we continue to believe that I no longer need it. I have been feeling some slight anxiousness at times but I am learning how to breathe through it. For example on Wednesday morning I woke up with a general feeling of butterflies in my stomach and I couldn't figure out any reason. I only thought that maybe it had to do with the fact I was traveling that day to observe my student. I sometimes get worried when I need to drive. I thought about it rationally and did my morning yoga and by the time I was ready to go I felt better. Another milestone is that I am also going from monthly visits to once every 2 months. 

Speaking of yoga for the last two weeks or more I have gotten back into my routine of 15 minutes of yoga 4 mornings a week. I am doing the same video SarahBethYoga Saturday with modifications for my shoulders. (Which by the way my shoulder range of motion is much better, still a little stiffness at night but I also could be MUCH better/consistent with my stretches.)

Ballet continues to be rewarding - in my second and third classes I was able to do a turn that I thought looked impossible in the first class. It was sloppy of course but my feet didn't get tangled and I completed the revolution. My teacher is very encouraging and she and the other women are a true joy and I'm finding a connection I've been craving.

A few weeks ago I went to a universtiy choir concert in a lovely setting - Conception Abbey (see photo below). The accoustics were so live that at times I wondered how the choir could keep their voices under control. One piece that I have carried with me since that performance is titled O Love the lyrics of this piece were originally written by George Matheson during a time of turmoil and are accounted for in this YouTube video O Love Inspiration. More recently the version I heard was set to a new tune by Elaine Hagenberg, perfmed here --Updated O Love. Elaine's lovely sense of harmony and blending of voices drew me into Matheson's hopeful words. As I reflect on the piece I realize that no matter the circumstance I am loved and may find joy as promised by the symbol of the rainbow. May you be encouraged and swept away from the day's worries as you listen. 


Thanks for reading,

Stay well,

Amy BH

3 comments:

  1. Once again thanks for reading having this outlet is both challenging and rewarding, your support is greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liked that hymn; the words are lovely. The melody in the hymnal is so somber, and I felt the pain of the lyricist as we sang it in church. I felt his loss. The other melody seems more hopeful about love. I do know that this is after one listening and only quickly listening to the hymn talk video.
    Best wishes as you continue on the shoulder + yoga + meds' reduction + ballet journey. I will encourage you to work on that shoulder even when you don't want to because I think of my friend who is in her late 60s and now has minimum range of motion. (can you say lecture is over?)
    This entry has so many good things to ponder. Thank you for writing!
    Peace, hlb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your assessments (and lecture, lol). My ramblings this week were a bit more lengthy thanks for taking the time to engage in it with me! Have a great day --abh

      Delete