Friday, March 25, 2022

Participation or Professional

Hello Readers

It was a warm March morning and I decided to pull out a pair of recently purchased denim shorts to wear. It felt great to put on something that fits well as many of my pants are currently too tight. I finished getting ready and headed to the Community Center. I had decided to see what classes they offered as more of a way to meet people and get out of the house than a need for exercise. As I caught a glance of my reflection in the glass doors before entering I was not impressed. Feeling deflated I pressed onward. Upon further pondering this situation, I have come to realize that my walking through those doors was me struggling with participation. Participation is a word I use often with my students in music class.

The music classroom and vulnerability go hand in hand. Students are asked to sing, move, and dance on a daily basis. Some students as young as preschool age seem to be concerned with what author Brene Brown describes as looking or acting cool. It can be challenging to motivate students, especially in junior high to participate in music activities even if they like music. Brene Brown in The Gift of Imperfection further validates that by doing things such as singing, dancing, and laughing we are being vulnerable. This challenge is compounded by the fact that while some students are willing to participate others react in ways that can cause disruption. 

A challenge in the music classroom is that while students should participate they also must maintain self-control or reserve. In other words, it is ok to be enthusiastic at the right times but never rowdy, especially in a way that prevents others from doing their best to participate. Students in the band need to keep their instruments up but not blast them and those in the choir should sing out loud but not shout. As a music teacher, I would sometimes change the word from participating to professional this gave the student more allowance for not actually playing the instrument or singing but only expecting the student to show effort such as holding their instrument correctly or standing with a straight posture. Students should also not hindering others from performing. Professional meant keeping your hands to yourself while also keeping quiet so others could sing or play their instrument. This has me wondering, am I participating in life, or am I merely being professional? 

I've been pondering the thought I heard this week: "it is said, write the book you need to read." Lately for me participating in life versus professional grades is the book I need to read. I was encouraged to also consider what one good day could bring rather than getting stuck on the big picture (Life). These thoughts were prompted as I recently listened to a podcast interview by Brene Brown with James Clear -- "Be the architect of your habits not the victim of them." James Clear on Atomic Habits (January 11 & 18, 2002 Unlocking Us) James Clear Part 1 of 2 parts

Early in the 2020 quarantine, I wrote a Blog about sight-reading Sight Reading Blog Post and how it means you need to keep the instrument up. I find myself in a similar season as I did during the quarantine. Some days I wake up and wonder, 'what am I supposed to do today?' In general, I find I am stuck between wanting to have more structure in my life while also fearing that if I commit to too much I'll be overly scheduled. James Clear advises to "Try things until something comes easily" (use trial and error to determine what works for you/it may also change over time.) One of my small steps is this Blog and posting it once a week, whew! ('The show (SNL) doesn't go on because it's ready it goes on because it's 11:30.' --Lorne Michaels)

With much appreciation and thanks for reading.

Stay well,

Amy BH

7 comments:

  1. James Clear talks about Consistency Over Intensity - what is a small step you are taking to start new atom sized habit in your life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this on Friday, and I've been thinking about this. I totally get what you're saying and think "Just Do It" is another helpful phrase. It can be so hard to start, but when I do finally get started, I wonder what the problem was in the first place! I hope you found fun classes to do at the rec center. One time I took a ballroom dance class at the Y and that would check a lot of boxes!
    hlb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right just getting started is often the hardest part for me too! Ballroom dancing sounds really fun. I did find a class I think I'm interested in but not at the rec center. Stay tuned for more details as it unfolds.

      Delete
  3. Listened to the Brene Brown/James Clear podcasts this week. Wowza!! I tend to judge myself based on what I do or don't do. Am I leading a worthwhile life if I'm not "doing" what I "should" do? So his challenge to focus more on the type of person you want to be is transformative. "What choice would a _______ person make?" Do that vs. set goals to achieve. I need to go back and write down his (I think it was) 4 pieces of advice about forming and breaking habits but I'm finding the one about starting small so freeing!! So grateful for these insights <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that quote too from James Clear. I could have spent a whole Blog summarizing that podcast, so glad to hear your thoughts and that you were encouraged by it also!

      Delete
  4. Wow. I have much to contemplate. As always, you get me thinking! Miss you friend. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too-- so nice to wake up this morning and see all of your lovely comments -so kind.

      Delete