Friday, March 18, 2022

Make Decisions Not Wishes

Dear Readers,

Today's title words make decisions, not wishes come via my daughter who uses them to inspire the students she coaches. These words have motivated me lately in my quest for physical health and making good decisions regarding eating and movement. Author Gretchen Rubin in her list of Secrets of Adulthood shares 'Starting again is harder than starting' For me, I have started again by eating more vegetables and following through on decisions regarding portion size. Another one of Gretchen's secrets is 'When the student is ready, the teacher appears'. Another decisions I've made is to get back to practicing Yoga and my teacher Sarah Beth. In this morning's Yoga video my teacher/YouTuber sarahbethyoga said falling is not failing that instead, we should have a nice laugh and when we fall seven times get up eight. SarahBethYoga Her words inspired me to take inventory and to get back up on the scale after months of avoidance. 

Sarah Beth teaches me to respond with laughter when I fall. I find this is a healthy response for me. In Brene Brown's book The Gift of Imperfection, she speaks about how laughter way of letting down walls and expressing vulnerability. Laughter, singing, playing, and dancing are other forms of vulnerability Brene writes about. I love to sing songs with meaningful words. I also like to dance and create dance routines as I pretend I'm part of a staged variety show. Two great forms of self-care as directed by whatever mood I'm in: singing out a lyrical sad song when I need a good cry or when I'm in need of a boost of energy I get the body moving by choosing an upbeat song, pump up the volume, and DANCE! 

Thanks for reading.

Stay well,

Amy BH

Today's Gold Star goes to Gretchen Rubin (she introduced the idea of the Gold Star to me) whos e videos, books, and endless articles have been a great source of  encouragement.


5 comments:

  1. What decisions have you made to promote your well-being?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two recent decisions come to mind:
      1. Deciding to change the way I decide. No need to go into my previous process. Now I look at two things: 1) What would I advise my best friend. 2) What decision will I wish I'd made 5/10/15/20 years from now. Those two lenses have brought instant clarity and have helped me find peace with some difficult decisions.
      2. I have decided to intentionally dance more.

      Delete
    2. #1 -- I love this! what a great way to prioritize etc.
      #2 -- yay team dance more!
      Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  2. I love this post because I'm just not motivated and need to "decide" what path I'm going to take...what I'll be happy I took in 5/10/15/20 years. Maybe I just need to reset with spring break? Start again with just trying? Portion size and I really do not need to snack while running errands on the weekend. Time to Dig Deep, I think.
    FYI blog part: it dawned on me this morning that you said you would post regularly, so even if I don't get an email with that, I could check for a post anyway.
    with care, hlb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the comments are going to email but not the posts lately. Thanks for sharing your current status/thinking with goal setting and resetting -- good plan!

      Delete