Thursday, October 28, 2021

Late Diagnosis

Hello Readers -- today's post is a little glimpse of some personal 'stuff' I've been remembering and sorting through lately. It is a bit of my personal story from the last year.

I have a mental illness that typically gets diagnosed much earlier in life. I am learning to accept this diagnosis. It is not simply an episode(s) I had after a few weeks of stress. I have to admit that sometimes even after several months of knowing what it is in the back of my mind, I keep thinking how could two off days that led to hospital stays mean I now have a chronic mental illness? Thankfully I've read portions of a book entitled The Bi-Polar Survival Guide What You and Your Family Need to Know by David J. Miklowitz Ph.D. This book convinced me that I did not want to waste time being in denial as almost every example in the book seemed to do. I could relate to many of the examples of mortifying incidents such as running away in the night. I saw that when each example took a road of denial they fell back into some kind of danger. 

I believe it is important to be able to recognize when an episode is creeping up. I know for me I wish I had known what was happening when we had our annual concert in December of 2020. I remember that day and after school feeling like I was on some sort of autopilot while the world around me was some sort of roller coaster. No one asked me how I was or why I was different than usual. As I read others' reactions (or lack thereof) I seemed to be the same old me. We were wearing masks so maybe that was why no one knew that underneath I was scared and struggling. 

If you can relate to these feelings or if you're feeling overwhelmed it is ok to reach out for help from a friend, family member, or doctor. I wish I would have known how to do that sooner but I am very grateful now to be getting the care I need from a great team.

This week's gold star goes to - my nurse Lindsey who encouraged me today.

Thanks for reading.

Stay Well,

Amy BH

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this!
    I took a mental health first aide course once. It was helpful, and now I feel like I know what to do if I think someone is having suicidal thoughts. HOWEVER, I do NOT know what to do when someone just seems "different" or "off" - especially if they're at a distance and I'm not sure whom to contact in their immediate physical location.

    Related: I don't know how to know when I need help, and what kind of help to seek. I know the signs of heart attack, stroke, and broken bones. I feel like I sort of know what depression would look like. But there are SO many other things!

    Thank you for learning what to pay attention for, and taking care of yourself. You inspire me to do the same <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding I'm learning to recognize in myself--it's when my thoughts are jumbled. I love that your concern is about noticing others and yourself. Very important to do both thanks for pointing that out.

      Delete