Friday, November 12, 2021

Hiding and Remembering

 Dear Readers,

I love celebrating anniversaries, my parents set a great example for marking certain years of their over 50 years of marriage. Some years they would go on trips and one year they even had a ceremony planned to renew their vows and exchange new wedding bands. I am finding it difficult this year to process certain things as we move into the Christmas season. The sound of holiday songs, for example, reminds me of difficulties I was facing a year ago. My first instinct is to hide but instead, I will try to celebrate all that has been accomplished in a year.

Hiding from posting is what I did last week but this week I am feeling much better. I learned from Gretchen Rubin that it is common for people with my tendency as an obliger (Four Tendencies: upholder, rebel, obliger, questioner) to sometimes deny themselves what brings them joy. I do this! One reason I know that writing & blogging brings me joy is that I lose track of time doing it, and yet I often drag myself to the computer having trouble getting started. Does this make sense? Can anyone relate to this? I do the same with listening to music that brings me joy, I don't do it. This leads me to the Gold Star of the week -- 

Gold Star to musician Jake Wesley Rogers with thanks to Brene Brown for introducing me. His lyrics are deep and relatable while his music is both sensitive and head slamming. In the interview with BB, he won me over with his intelligence attached to a gentle, kind, and humble spirit. (His songs and manner give off a bit of an Elton John vibe.) Below are two of his songs. Warning - language 

Pluto (Hate On Me)

Middle of Love

Stay well!

Thanks for reading,

Amy BH

2 comments:

  1. My variation is that I delay what brings me joy in order to get the stuff I don't want to do (but should do) out of the way. Why do I do that?

    Another variation: My husband really loves to hear me play the piano (even though I'm really bad at it). Playing is also one of my joys. He also loves the song "Finlandia." Until reading your blog, I had this plan to learn to play "Finlandia" really well and then surprise him. Then I realized: If he enjoys hearing me play, wouldn't he enjoy hearing me practice too? Let's just say, that I can now say for sure that the answer to that question is, "Yes!"

    ReplyDelete