Friday, October 1, 2021

Five Things I Want My Blog To Be Known For - Honest Curious Creative Eclectic Relatable

Introduction - My rose plant this week grounded me with some thoughts I have had regarding the importance of discipline and play. While I need to be disciplined I also need to find what I enjoy, look for it, and do it more. As I looked at my rose plant this week in the front yard I noticed it had many blooms budding. Once the flowers are fully open the roses barely last a day as they are detached by the slightest wind. If I'm not paying attention I will miss them completely. I will give myself a gold star when I catch myself looking to find the beauty in the moments as they come. Here are my eclectic honest curious thoughts that I hope you find relatable --

 Monday - Read 100 Days to Brave (Annie F. Downs) about discipline and decided to use my red slacks that I've been avoiding as a measuring stick for future progress. This week red slacks were TIGHT I could fasten them BARELY.

Tuesday - Met with the psychiatrist I mentioned to her about being bored and having low energy and she suggested paying attention to what are positive things and stick to them more. The doctor also suggested doing more active exercise to help with weight gain and help with mood. Very timely the daily 100 Days reading was on play and how important it is. Thankfully I have an outlet to play my flute which is a real blessing I was able to experience first hand when I performed at a small concert in the evening. For the first time, I can remember I was able to relax and trust myself to enjoy playing the music without doubting myself. I also enjoy playing with my cat.

Wednesday - Crystal Ellefsen a guest on Ep. #45 of the podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin discussed developing the Top 5 things one wants to be known for I am applying this to myself as a Blogger (see Blog Title, what do you think?). Later I watched a video JOHN GREEN on #NotTooDeep // Grace Helbig where when discussing mental health they listed being radically honest and earnest. I like the idea of making connections with my life and weaving that with curiosity and wonder. 

  Thursday - Met with my counselor today and he encouraged me to aim for self-acceptance  - when the negative thoughts come into my head. I had shared the example of a morning where I worked from 7:30-11am and decided to watch an episode of Seinfeld and noticed I was feeling guilty about it. My counselor said there are different types of busy and I need to prepare for the inner voice and there is no reason to let worry and fear regulate my life. I am realizing that I do have fears associated with life, things I'm not proud of that are out of my control. In the following podcast, John Green lists and reflects on modifications of his life both with humor and bravery. John Green Mortification https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/anthropocene-reviewed/episodes/anthropocene-reviewed-mortification-civilization  Demerits when I hold on to thoughts about not being who I think I should be.

I wonder what you think about discipline and play do you struggle with one more than the other? I imagine someone into sports might find it easy to combine the two. As a musician, I have trouble separating them as well. As always I appreciate any questions or thoughts as you may feel comfortable sharing in the comments.

Thanks for reading.

Stay well,

Amy BH



2 comments:

  1. Blessings to you, my dear sister. As I continue to reflect on these last posts, I keep thinking about how you are doing what you need to do. It seems like what you need is showing up AND!! you are paying attention to these gifts. Your podcasts, counselors, readings, and even videos are giving you just what you need to hear. I love how you are putting them all together (shoot, there is a perfect word for this, but I'm not getting it...culminating? synthesizing? something!) So I thank you. I thank you for taking the time to notice and share your journey.
    Peace, hlb

    ReplyDelete