Saturday, April 22, 2017

Yearwood's Broccoli Casserole and Pizza Buffet Conversation

I had a great time for Easter (wore the yellow dress with a scarf accessory, wise advice sisters),
spent time with my brother-in-law, sister, and mom who graciously loved on me and Gerald. Mom had recently hosted an event that had left her with a lot of leftover broccoli which was a wonderful coincidence in that I had planned to make the casserole to bring down. It was very good, here's a link:

http://www.hellmanns.com/recipes/detail/48569/1/trishas-chicken-broccoli-casserole

As I stated on a previous post, I subbed in plain yogurt for sour cream and used quinoa instead of rice. I also close to doubled the broccoli, using up what mom had. We all really loved this comfort food that is very easy to over eat on the second helping. If I made it again I think I would eliminate the rice/quinoa all together and use half the chicken. I really love the creamy sauce texture and don't really need the extra starch or protein (so much cheesy goodness). I would consider this a fun food that has some healthy aspects (broccoli).

****

Yesterday I went to a pizza, pasta, salad, dessert etc. buffet at a local restaurant with 4 young women (1 senior/3 juniors) from my high school. We are finishing up a Dual Credit Music App class and had gotten permission to attend a University concert put on for local K-12 schools (a course requirement is to attend/watch four concerts and reflect on them in an essay). These girls are beautiful both inside and out, some of the most confident, highly successful women you'll ever meet. They each have diverse interests and are high achievers in science, math, sports, agriculture, music, theater, business, community service, religion...the list is endless. They are also extremely fun to be around, I have to remind myself constantly that I'm their teacher and I can't let them whisk me away into their engaging stories. Here's a common dialogue in our class:
Student: "oh that piece by Dvořák reminds me, can I tell a story about when my brother and I were alone in the house when we were little?"
Me: "yes as soon as we listen to this piece by Wagner."
With all this going for them the conversation at the restaurant before the concert turned dark as soon as the drinks were ordered, 2 ordered pop and 2 ordered water, prom is next week and there is major daily stress conveyed regarding fitting into their dresses. I stopped them in the mist of their "I hate myself right now" comments and said lightheartedly something along the lines of "no judging --guys don't do this, they just eat -- they don't think or say anything about it." We had a good laugh about this and they chimed in with examples of guys they knew and how much they could eat and other related stories. Later I went to the restroom and when I came back they had split the bill 4 ways, leaving me out. They said I had given them candy this semester so they "owed" me. Did I mention how much I love these girls?



No comments:

Post a Comment