Sunday, December 4, 2016

Beans & Coleslaw

Almost weekly I get a craving for baked beans and coleslaw. I have enjoyed both of these for years but lately this is on a much deeper level. They are so satisfying and go together so well. My lack of certain carbs leaves me hungering for starchy foods and these two dishes are acceptable carbs and very filling.

****

I'm struggling with packing my lunch lately. I'm unmotivated in the morning and even though I'm hungry at lunch time I just don't feel like really eating much at that time. In my current position I eat in my office as I do other things, this is not ideal. The two places where people eat are a bit of a walk and I really don't want to take the time to go there. [Note to self: January goal eat lunch with people?Ponder this idea]. I need to be more mindful about packing my lunch because this not eating enough at lunch leads to being overly hungry in the evening. Overly hungry leads to stuffing the food in and even though the choices are "appropriate" the urgency and speed of the intake is a habit I am wanting to curve. It bothers me to think that if I don't get a handle on these tendencies, once this year is up I will slip right back into huge bowls of popcorn and large plates of fries to satisfy my hungering physical and emotional voids.

****

My pant size has gone down 1 since this past July - I am very pleased. I look in the mirror and my portions are much healthier. When I'm teaching I feel balanced as I move about the room reaching for things etc. Last year I often felt awkward about my size as if I was about to tumble. Now I am able to easily put on my shoes and do not get winded in ways I was 6 months ago. In the past when I started to see changes in my size I would reach for more fitted clothes to spur me on to more good deeds through the compliments of others. For now I am continuing to wear looser tops as I really don't want others to notice at all, in fact I dread it. My sisters and daughter may discuss such things with me and all would be well and good as they really know me. It's the need for casual compliments that I feel I need to do away with, not that the giver of the comment has done anything wrong it is my need for it that is a problem. As I wear tops that are less fitted my size is practicably unnoticeable and therefore I am going around with a 10-20 pound buffer. My mental being is free from the constant obsessing over who has noticed it (for the ups and the downs). This is very freeing much in the same way that I feel free by not weighing myself.

****

Walking on a regular basis is everything! This week I shopped after work on Thursday and Friday and with the early darkness this left me with no chance for my "15 minute pleasure walk" on these evenings. The good thing is that even though I missed these walks I was actually active those evenings as I went around the stores. Furthermore yesterday (Saturday) morning I prioritized a 45 minute make-up walk as soon as daybreak hit, a glorious way to start the day. I am normally MUCH less active on weekends and this broke that typically cycle. Win! Win!

2 comments:

  1. Hello again - finally making time to write to you (we're on a 1 hour delay! I have so much more time this morning.)
    I needed to reread this post because I had to think about things.
    first - lunches can be such an aaarrrggghhh! I don't like to take anything to warm up because the microwave is far away and so slow. I'd lose half of my lunch time. I totally get that they get to be the same old same old. I'm on a half pepper plus a carrot kick this year rather than packing 7 crackers (since if there are crackers in the house, I'll have 57 crackers once I'm home). Let me know if you want to brainstorm options for lunch; I'm not saying I have any great ideas, but perhaps together we can figure out what to pack?
    second - I too work through lunch. I do eat while I help students (they usually don't want a pepper slice.) I would love to eat with adults, but that doesn't happen. I'm not sure that is healthy. Why do teachers do this to our mental health?
    third - I've been thinking about your loose clothes buffer zone. no real comments, just been thinking about it; if it is what you need, then good for you to figure that out!

    last - and very important - your intentions have inspired me to rethink my own health and self care. My shoulder is thinking about being a problem area again. So now: MUST do the shoulder exercises from last August at the physical therapist every morning, and, while on the floor, do some ab work! I want to add in a walk / workout / yoga every day, but I'm not organized (YET!) to pack walking clothes. Scruffy walks don't really count because sometimes it is all about sniffing. Thanks for inspiring me.

    Love you LOTS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideas for lunch brainstorming is a welcome idea it could even be a post that we continue as we are inspired.

      I am so glad you are feeling inspired since most often the inspiring for health is coming from you to me. Small but consistent changes has been a real plus for me these last few weeks.
      Love you too sis!!

      Delete