Saturday, May 30, 2020

June Intentions and More!

Hello Readers -

Checking In
I have logged food this past week and been extra careful and "honest" with myself with great results. I am down 3 pounds since Sunday. After being stagnant pretty much all of May this scale affirmation is greatly appreciated. At the same time, I have been thinking a lot about the video below. Obese to Beast is so wise and I love how he shares and explains things that he's walked through himself. The whole video is great. The part I've been pondering and incorporating into my self-talk is the Honesty and Forgiveness portion where he explains the importance of both. I also have been known to join in the calorie game he describes (time frames noted below the video link). A pattern I articulated this month is that, in the past, I give up when I am 7 pounds from my maintenance goal. By using his suggestion of being both honest and forgiving the new thought process guided me to experience a victory. I am now within 5 pounds of my goal. Another update is that I have enjoyed doing Yoga every day in May and am working towards memorizing this 15-minute video that challenges, engages, and drives me 15 min Balanced Power Yoga.

Obese to Beast
7'51"  Playing the "Calorie Game"
9' Honest and Forgiveness

Helpful Mindshift
Dani Spies recently shared on her Instagram story that she has struggled in quarantine (she lives in NJ) because she is motivated to exercise as she is engaged as she perseveres physically until she reaches a goal. This needed to change because she has no access to the weights at her gym and other equipment she needed to reach her current goal. She had a mind shift from thinking of exercise as a way to achieve some sort of goal to thinking of it as a gift to her body. Our bodies were made to move.

Intentions for June
I will log food for a 2nd week in a row so as to continue with my honesty pattern. (Note: I do not log on Sundays, I still eat as though I am logging but with more grace and no hassle.) This will have me not logging for my anniversary and during our vacation. During vacation I will only hold myself true to the walking of 10,000 steps a day -- I will eat intentionally but all food is acceptable (same for my Anniversary). For the rest of the month, I plan to stick to my 1200 calories/day, 4 times a week 15 min yoga, 2 jog/walks a week, and 15,000 steps a day. Eating intentionally involves staying engaged and listening to both hunger and full cues.


Egg Whites (EW)
 I bought egg whites in a quart container and froze the rest in a muffin tin. Once frozen I popped those out to store in the freezer to use as needed.
Oatmeal with EW
This delicious oatmeal with egg whites is a great break from my normal approach (see recipe below, shared already?). It is a combination of a couple of recipes from Dani Spies (Clean & Delicious). I eat 1/2 cup of it at a time, I've found the rest stores well in the fridge to be warmed up each morning. I like to add fruit and peanut butter to the top (sometimes 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips, yum!).
Granola with EW
My son is visiting this weekend and he likes my granola. I came across a new granola recipe that uses egg whites (there are lots of those --google).  I've enjoyed the granola a tablespoon at a time on top of plain yogurt with fruit. I leave out the sugar in the granola recipe and add a little drizzle of honey. As the recipe states, you can sub in and out dry for dry and wet for wet. I used my homemade almond butter I made in the food processor and skipped the coconut oil. I also used quick oats instead of oat bran and left out the brown sugar, as I mentioned earlier, and used pumpkin seeds and coconut to make the amount of coconut needed.


Stay well.
Amy B Haddock


THE BEST OATMEAL
1 cup dry rolled oats 2 cups water
1/4-1/2 tsp salt 1/3 cup egg whites 1 tbsp coconut oil --NOTE == Amy did not put this in and it was fine-- lowers the fat/calorie below INSTRUCTIONS Combine oatmeal, 2 cups water, and salt in a small pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and slowly stir in the egg whites, continually stirring until the oats look opaque. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the oats are creamy, tender and heated through. Stir in Coconut oil--mix. Serve topped with favorite toppings. NUTRITION
Nutrients for 1/2 of the recipe: Calories: 291; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 37.5g; Dietary Fiber: 5.3g; Sugars: 9g; Protein: 6g

No comments:

Post a Comment