Thursday, May 14, 2020

Adele, Coffee, School/Summer

Hello Readers,

Adele - posts on an Adele's Twitter photo post are getting people wound up. The topic boils down to should people congratulate someone when they've lost weight? First, it implies they weren't "beautiful" "glammed-up" before. Second, they may not have meant to lose weight and are having a health crisis or maybe they have disordered thinking in regards to food. My take on this is that while yes --I do believe that saying congratulations is problematic it can be a valuable encouragement. There is no simple answer. If the person is posting a selfie I don't think you can ever go wrong by saying --you look gorgeous etc. If you see someone in person and notice a change -- commenting on their energy or sense of style could be a good place to start and then use judgment based on how well you know them and where the conversation naturally lands once they respond. Additionally, giving grace to the person giving the comment is important, while some people are passive-aggressive I find most to be genuine in their motivation. Find someone you trust that you can replay the conversation over with when you're feeling hurt or unsure of how to receive a comment.

Coffee
Day 6 of no sweetener in my coffee is going well -- I am enjoying it, I have had sweeter breakfasts to balance it out. For example, on Saturday I made and froze Blueberry Lemon Muffins (see recipe below) for the week. I made a few changes in the recipe using regular milk, not almond, and over-ripe banana instead of yogurt. In related news, I bought a lemon zester -- good purchase, I had been using the side of the cheese grater and maybe it had gotten dull? I don't know...but this new zester is way easier and more efficient. In regards to coffee, after this week I will try giving myself no more than 2 'special' days a week where I get to beef up my coffee with sweetener or cocoa mix as a fun treat and maintain the no sweetener rule on the remaining mornings.

School/Summer
Tomorrow is the 'last day of school'. I checked out of the building for the summer yesterday and all our grades were due last week. I feel like I'm ready to start thinking about how I want to spend my now actual summer break days. I will be taking the rest of this week and all of next week off from Blogging-- as I said in last week's post, it's been a bit of a struggle lately for various reasons. Look for my next Blog post by the end of the month with my June intentions--

Thanks so much for all your support (you know who you are 😉)
Stay well,
Amy

Blueberry Muffin Recipe (Clean & Delicious)

Ingredients

  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 cup plain greek yogurt or mashed banana or apple sauce*
  • 2 pastured eggs beaten
  • 2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons monkfruit**
  • 3/4 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or coat with coconut oil or butter to ensure nothing sticks.
  • In a large bowl combine oats, salt and baking powder and gently toss together.
    dry ingredients in bowl
  • Mix in milk, Greek yogurt, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and monk fruit and stir together until everything is incorporated and you have a rich, thick batter.
  • Add in the blueberries and almonds and stir until just combined.
  • Evenly divide the oat mixture between all 12 muffin cups and pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the muffins are set through and lightly golden brown on the top.
    muffin batter divided into muffin tin
  • Cool completely before removing muffins from the pan and enjoy!
    fresh baked blueberry lemon oatmeal muffin cups

Notes

*You can sub in applesauce or mashed banana for the Greek yogurt, if you want to keep the oat cups dairy free.
**Monk fruit is a plant-derived, calorie free sweetener. This is the one I am using. If you prefer, you can use coconut sugar or really any granulated sugar instead of the monk fruit.
***I like to store these muffins in an airtight container in the fridge where they will happily last up to one week. 
****To reheat the muffins, you can slice them in half and place them in the toaster oven or pop them in the microwave for 20-40 seconds.

Nutrition

Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 105mg | Potassium: 138mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 5IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 0.9mg

No comments:

Post a Comment