Thursday, September 16, 2021

Humble Beginnings

 Monday -- Went to the Library and renewed the book The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I also sent an email to my husband with the links for ordering this book and The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown for my birthday later this month.

Tuesday -- As a way to wish myself a happy birthday this month, I went to the grocery store and bought (along with other normal groceries for the week) a box of german chocolate cake mix and the ingredients for homemade 'icing' for the cake (minus the pecans). That afternoon I baked, cooled, cut into roughly 24 pieces, iced, and froze separately. I also ate icing and at least 2 pieces -- I was very full of cake. 

Wednesday -- Took many breaks and came up with every excuse in the book to eat the pieces of cake (15-30 seconds in the microwave!). By the afternoon when I tried to read I was overcome with the need for naps instead. Once the cat was on my lap it was pretty much a nap free-for-all-- not my finest hours.

Thursday -- Listened to the podcast episode #301 Dear Hank and John (while showering/cleaning/walking) and was struck by their discussion from a listener question regarding the use of the phrase "I feel so humbled" when receiving an honor of some sort. This reminded me of a discussion my daughter and I had over something that happened in my life. 

Seven years ago I set out with an idea to start a community band and now that band exists without me. I mentioned that I felt humbled by this. My daughter was confused, wouldn't I feel the opposite because MY idea had been so well received it gained its own momentum? To explain I stated that I felt like I was a small player in a much greater 'scheme' of the universe and therefore I felt small in comparison. If you listen to the silly podcase above you will note that Hank and John continue to go back to the bit of poking fun at the use of the word humble throughout the episode and while I too find it amusing I also find the word very profound. 

In Season/Series 6 Episode 8 of Call the Midwife (spoiler alert) I was brought to tears over the storyteller's subtle way of using humility in the character Phyllis. In one moment seasoned elder Nurse Phyllis is humbled when her fellow midwife/friend does not choose Nurse Phyllis to care for her. Then, a few scenes later, we see her humbled again when with a much younger fellow midwife Barbara. Barbara chooses 'friend' (and roommate) Phyllis to stand up with her when she gets married. Phyllis was so taken back she came up with reasons why her young roommate should choose one of her friends. Barbara said I am --- I'm choosing you. How can Phyllis be humble in both of these instances?

Does the word humble fit both of these? I believe yes it does. Phyllis was brought lower when she thought she would be chosen and she felt lower when she thought she shouldn't be chosen. 

I am humbled on days I eat cake and nap and I am humbled when I have the energy to write and clean. I struggle and am humbled on Mondays when I have no ideas flowing for my Friday class and I am humbled when the idea comes and it seems so obvious. I am humbled by the idea of sharing my thoughts beyond my normal readership (close family) what would others say? would they be interested? would it touch a nerve or, better still, soothe one? 

Are there any examples you have regarding the unique use of the word humble? Maybe there is another word you've noticed that seems to contradict itself and yet holds true?

Thanks for reading,

Stay Well,

AmyBH

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! Humble, humility, etc., is such a deep and rich thing and you share enlightening insights...When I think of being humble I immediately think of Genesis 2, when God created Adam. We often say Adam was created from "clay" or "dust," but the word used (both for the name "Adam" and what Adam is created from) better translates as soil/"humus"(definition: "the organic component of soil, formed by the decomposition of leaves and other plant material by soil microorganisms"). And that's how I think of humble-ness: remembering that I was created with love and intention by the Living God out of God's rich, living earth and at the same time remembering that in the end, to the dust (soil) I will return. How empowering!...How freeing (from worry/anxiety). Like the first part of the Brene Brown quote, "No matter what gets done today and how much is left undone, I am enough," in the same way that soil is "enough." And, of course, I love the second part of that quote too, "...Yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable and sometimes afraid, but that doesn't change the truth that I am also brave and worthy of love and belonging," just like soil is "worthy." I try (and feel like I fail more often than succeed) to be grounded (pun intended) in that. Thanks for the reminder and the inspiration <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about Adam and soil and humility. I had looked for a Bible verse to post with this entry and all came up short for what I was wanted to convey. Thanks for sharing these insights, I find them to by profound.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this (and labf's thoughts). I've been thinking on this this week. I remember that episode and Phyllis' reaction to being asked to stand up for Barbara; their friendship goes deep (but I shall not spoil a later episode with an example).
    What is striking me about the use of humble is perhaps we just need to say "Thank you". Why not just get your award and say "Thank you for this honor. I was among many great ___, and it is quite something to be chosen." I write this knowing that I don't say Thank You enough. Someone may say I did something, and rather than say "thank you for noticing" I'll play it off and acknowledge the back story of others who helped make it happen as well.... I Am Enough.
    with love, hlb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes good point! Accepting the award or compliment etc with a simple thank you is good advice 👍 💗

      Delete